When it comes to wedding clothes, there’s no denying where the focus usually falls. Right at the top of the list, there’s the bride. Next, come the bridesmaids. Then there’s the mother of the bride (and groom), and then, right at the bottom of the list, it’s the groom and his groomsmen.
Which is probably why, when you do try to find wedding suits, including linen wedding suits for grooms, it’s hard to find the right information. We decided to make it a little easier, with a guide to linen wedding suits for grooms. Here’s what you know.
What Are Linen Suits?
Linen suits are lightweight suits that are made out of linen or linen blend fabrics. In many cases, they are unlined, and they are usually made in lighter colors like pale grey, beige, cream, and tan.
Linen wedding suits for grooms are usually a lot less formal than heavier wool or wool blend suits, and they are almost always single breasted. They might have a collar or be collarless, and pants can be flat fronted or pleated with a little more room in the leg.
When Should You Choose a Linen Wedding Suit?
As with everything related to clothing and weddings, there are some situations when linen wedding suits for grooms are appropriate, and some when they are not. Here are a few tips:
- Linen suits are best for summer weddings. They’re very lightweight, so they are not very warm. Great for summer weddings or destination weddings, but not ideal if the weather is chilly!
- Linen wedding suits are great for beach weddings too. The fabric is perfect for some sea, sand, and sun!
- Because they are lightweight, linen suits tend to crease easily, so you will need to make sure they’re freshly pressed and steamed. Linen does not travel well in suitcases either, so make sure you have a plan to get the wrinkles out if you’re traveling to a destination wedding!
- This kind of suit is not very formal. So, if you’re planning a black tie event, this is not the right wedding suit for you!
- Linen suits can vary greatly in quality, so make sure you shop around before you make a decision. Price alone is not a good way to choose a linen suit! Be sure to shop from a reputable suit store too.
Linen wedding suits are a great alternative for weddings that are more casual. They can also usually be worn again after the big day, so if you’re looking for something that will serve you beyond your wedding day, this is a great option.
A good linen suit will usually also be less expensive than heavier lined wool or wool blend suits, so if you have a tighter wedding budget, they’re a good way to save a few dollars.
As with anything to do with your wedding though, it’s always best to defer to whatever your bride and your wedding planner decide. So, before you head out to buy linen wedding suits for grooms and groomsmen, be sure to run the idea past your bride to be!